Saturday, 30 June 2012

Advice for any exam

This isn't like my usual stuff, but I thought whether you are doing exams now or you are starting really important ones next year, you could use a little help. I am in the first year of doing my GCSE's, and I have had a few problems revising/answering questions during exam season. So, I thought you would appreciate a little bit of help as I would have done starting off.

The three main stages of exams are:
  1. Learning the topics in class
  2. Revising
  3. Sitting the actual exam
Learning the topics is the easy part... if you have a good teacher. Somehow, I managed to get stuck with a few bad nuts, so if you end up in the same sorry situation as me then you will need some guidance on how to survive their stupidity.

Always try to listen to them. If you don't because they're talking nonsense, then you may actually miss a couple of good points that they tend to sneak in from time to time. Two out of the three of my science teachers are... no offence to them, but complete idiots. However, my Biology teacher taught me something about fat cells the other day - and I realised that it was the very first thing I had learnt from him ALL YEAR.

The second part of this exam malarkey is revising what you have learnt weeks, or maybe even months, later. I had to learn a 106 page science book all over again because I had not had appropriate teaching in class. This is extremely hard but I did it only a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not the brightest of people so you should be fine.

I usually do these things to revise:
  • Write a song about a topic
  • Condense the revision guide into a portable file, in your own words
  • Write out a 'trigger' sentence many times, to commit it to memory
  • Go through a topic with parents or whoever you are with
  • Create flash cards, by hand of course
  • Watch revision videos on Youtube
I always use a certain one for each subject, because that works best for me. However, you can just stick to one for all subjects or use all for one subject! If you are more of a visual learner then reading and watching videos are the way to go, but usually I prefer the writing of trigger sentences because I learn by activity, not looking.

The last one is the hardest - sitting the actual exam! Arghh, impossible.

Not.

If you don't know who Edgar Allan Poe is, check my post on his quote. Using that quote though, I have come up with a good theory to see you through your exam.

Just think; if mankind are only as clever as they were 6000 years ago, then children are as smart as adults, but we just don't know how to use our brains as well. So, if we are all of the same abililty, then the examiners who write the questions are only as smart as us. Therefore, if they know how to answer the question, so do we.

I hope that last paragraph made sense, and good luck to whenever your next exam is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.