Sunday, 24 June 2012

Edgar's Theory of Evolution

As an end to my first day of blogging I thought I would share with you probably the first sensible theory on evolution. I know what you're thinking... what about Darwin? But this stems from his theory because it talks about how humans, however hard they try, will not train their brains to grow larger but only train their feet to move faster.

This is a little something called 'Human Perfectability' and comes from the author/poet Edgar Allan Poe. I find it so interesting because in the weirdest way he is absolutely right; a person can only be as wise as he/she believes they can. And since most of us are not big believers of photographic memory, Allan Poe knows that evolution can only stretch as far as being the most athletically trained the human race have ever been to a certain extent, and nothing more.

The part that I adore the most is when he says "- not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago". The happiness part caught my attention the first time I read it, because (cliche alert!) he hits the nail right on the head. However hard we petty humans may try, we will never be completely happy; although some days I find myself edging ever nearer to it because I am a girl who enjoys the whole 'being alive' part of living. I believe we stretch ourselves too hard and perhaps forget to enjoy the more simple things in life, and I would know this better than anyone being both a high school student and something of a perfectionist.

So, the moral of this story is that try as we might, we will never be intelligent or happy.

On a lighter note though... have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.