Sunday, 24 June 2012

The Power of Books

The Power of Books

This picture pretty much sums up what you should feel when reading a fiction book. Every explosion, every alien tentacle, every loving kiss... an author who does not write in such a sense that you feel you could be there should not be an author at all.

I particularly love this picture because this is what I sense when I read, and as a teenager that is a very powerful thing to feel. Yesterday, someone asked on Twitter if there is a word that could describe the dreadful feeling when you finish a good book, and I replied that it would be a word very similar to 'bereavement'. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what I want every child and teenager to feel when they read - along with that fantastic feeling of picking up a new book to read too.

By the way, I got a retweet for that answer, and I can tell you I felt extremely proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.