Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Review: Perks of being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

"I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day... or wondering who did the heart breaking and wondering why."

For any of you who are planning on skipping this book and just watching the movie because Emma Watson is in it, DON'T. I read this book less than a month ago and after reading others afterwards, no book has impressed me as much. 

Although Chbosky writes about delicate subjects and at times somewhat inappropriate ones, I don't think any book had made me feel that emotional. At first, I thought he was a teenage author because of the accuracy he gave to each setting and emotion, but it turns out he is a grown man and just brilliant at what he does. 

I don't cry when reading books. Ever. But this one made me consider shedding a tear for the main character, Charlie. He isn't popular, but insanely intelligent, and this book is about him finding himself and of course, that perfect song on a perfect drive. He is therefore classed as a Wallflower: caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

WARNING: This book deals with the issues of alcohol, drugs, and has some sexual content. But if you are a sensible young adult, then please buy this book and let it capture your heart like it did for me.

I suppose I need some sort of a rating system for you all. I will sort that out accordingly. For now, I will give it a fantastic 5 stars/things.

I can't actually stress enough how much I loved this book. It was so insightful in to many teenager's lives now and although I couldn't relate to the inappropriate content I knew exactly how Charlie felt about life. He appreciates it, but doesn't quite understand it. He is socially awkward, but knows what he is talking about when he speaks. 

Just so you know, I am fully planning on seeing the movie. But if you don't read the book first, you are definitely missing out.

I would recommend this for every teenager out there. It is a story about life and once you have read it, Charlie will stay with you forever.


2 comments:

  1. The Story of this Movie is very interesting,Everyone is or has been nervous about starting up their first year in high school. Friends you had in middle school don't talk to you, it's a bigger environment, and you're surrounded by sex, drugs, language, and older kids on a constant basis.At any time you can watch The Perks of Being a Wallflower Movie and enjoy with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a wonderful story that will make you laugh, cry, and reminisce on the good old days of high school. I highly recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.