Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Waiting on CareerCon (I will explain...)

I had to attend a meeting tonight at my school alongside my parents about THE FUTURE.

Scary stuff.

They wanted to talk about work experience, sixth forms and colleges, and loads more. And to be honest, it sounds terrifying, but the speeches the career people at my school gave made it seem far less scary than it had to be.

First of all, this one woman stood up and said to us "People know me as the Chandler Bing of the school, because they never really understand what I do."

THAT was a shocker. But she had a point, because I still don't know what she does.

I took that message as "I am implying that you all should strive to be like me. Become Chandler Bing." And I plan on following it up.


Then we were forced to watch a video on youtube that had only gained 26 views. It was an interview with this woman who is successful in fashion journalism and she said this:

"People can definitely develop the skills, but I believe that I was born with this amazing fashion sense. It was almost like my mum had it implanted into my DNA."

*Facepalm*

To top it all off, the video kept buffering and it managed to stick on a time when she had a really funny facial expression. Me and my friend couldn't stop laughing.

And CareerCon you ask?

That is the name I have given to the Career Convention we will be having, where employers from the local area speak to us about possible job opportunities. 

Don't judge. It's not my fault I can't go to ComicCon this year.

At the end, they were telling us to keep thinking about having a career path in mind. 

I don't know what I want to do, but I hope I have enough money to fund my book-buying habit.

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting (and scary) time! I believe career development continues throughout your life, so you don't have to feel pressure to find your one shining career and stick to it. I was lucky that I knew I wanted to be a psychologist at a young age and then loved my psychology classes in college and grad school. But most people take a more circuitous route. And when one of my psychology jobs sucked, I started writing fiction for fun and now I'm a published author! So you never know what's going to happen. I found your blog on Book Promotion and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.