Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Tips for NaNoWriMo - Keep calm and carry on writing

I know I am going to have this exact problem halfway through the month, and apparently it is normal for any person doing NaNo. So, I thought I would write this post now and it will give future me a chance to carry on writing... even when I get to the point in which I physically feel like I can't write any more.


Don't feel like you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for your ideas. Seriously; I know what NaNo says about literary abandon and everything, but you need to have something to work on in December. 

I actually know of people who do what this woman (or her cat?) has done in the picture. She has written the same sentence over and over and over and over and over again.

See? It's annoying.

And just think. You would be making life harder for yourself when you get to December. Write something worthwhile.



I have also heard of these 'wonderful' times when you just look at your manuscript and think:




Ahh, self-doubt. I am going to say this once and only once.

STEP UP. You thought it was a great idea to begin with, so you are seeing this through to the end or you will have me to answer to. If you have no faith in yourself, neither will the publisher. Not happy with it? Make it better. You have the controls and NaNo is about finding your inner dragon-tamer. 

TAME THE DAMN DRAGON!

One more thing.

Whenever you have those short spurts of inspiration, ohmygod use them. Always carry a notepad around and scribble them in. It will come in so handy when you are running low on ideas. It is pretty simple to forget ideas shortly after you have had them, so store them safely for when you get home.

This is the face I pull when I have those moments:




More tips coming soon, my little dragon-tamers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.