Friday, 30 November 2012

Kendal's Column: A Mini Series Of Festivities- Gifts For Book Lovers

It's (almost) Christmas!


So, I have decided that the next four posts (not including this post) that I'm going to do are going to be 'A Mini Series Of Festivities'.  This mini series of 4 posts will include things like recipes, book reviews and maybe music all themed around Christmas. 
In this first post, I'm going to give you some books I think would either make good gifts for book loving friends. This post is first because the other day I realized that since I have had this column I haven't actually done a book review on a blog that aims to encourage teen reading.

Note: I've decided to rate my books in a kind of Monday-Friday way, so Monday is the not so great end and the Friday is the absolutely amazing end (all ratings are my own opinion and all books included in the series are aimed at YA reading).


Let It Snow-John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle

Rating: Friday
Cheapest Price found: £5.29 (Waterstones.com)
'Sparkling white snowdrifts, beautiful presents wrapped in ribbons, and multicolored lights glittering in the night through the falling snow. A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a romantic haven, the kind you see only in movies. Well, kinda. After all, a cold and wet hike from a stranded train through the middle of nowhere would not normally end with a delicious kiss from a charming stranger. And no one would think that a trip to the Waffle House through four feet of snow would lead to love with an old friend. Or that the way back to true love begins with a painfully early morning shift at Starbucks. Thanks to three of today’s bestselling teen authors—John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle—the magic of the holidays shines on these hilarious and charming interconnected tales of love, romance, and breathtaking kisses'  
I have have so much love for this book, not only is it beautiful and funny, it's written by some of my favorite authors.
In 3 short stories ( The Jubilee Express-Maureen Johnson, The Cheertastic Christmas Miracle-John Green and The Patron Saint Of Pigs-Lauren Myracle) these three wonderful, talented authors have brought Christmas back to me in 352 wonderful pages of soppy romance and lighthearted jokes. It's a book that on a cold winters night you can just snuggle up with a hot chocolate and Oreos and just read for hours.
I loved how the stories intertwined and i am positive i will be reading this book multiple times before Christmas
I loved this book and would recommend to anyone who is a Romantic/Comedy/Teen Drama lover.


Jessie Hearts NYC- Keris Stainton

Rating: Friday
Cheapest Price found: £4.89 (amazon.co.uk)
'Jessie's just arrived in New York, hoping to forget about her awful ex. 
New Yorker Finn is in love with his best friend's girlfriend. They might be perfect together, but in a city of eight million people, will they ever find each other?'
I know this novel isn't defined as a holiday read- in fact the book happens during summer BUT I still think it would be the perfect winter read as it has all the ingredients for the perfect soppy, old fashioned, New York  romance. Here is a review that appeared on tumblr by me: 

'This is the story of two people. Two people who you will scream at, two people that you will laugh at and two people you will gasp at.
Jessie is a small town girl (compared to New York) from Manchester, UK. She’s on her way to what she plans to be a perfect summer living with her Broadway musical writer mother who left her with her dad to pursue her dream. With her bestie ,Emma, by her side is Jessie ready for New York?…and is New York ready for Jessie?
Finn is guy whose work life has been planned out to the last detail by his parents:-Go to school, go to college, get a job in insurance and work in an office in the Empire State Building for the rest of his days. But, is that really what Finn wants? Never mind the fact that Finn is in love with Sam, his best friend’s gorgeous girlfriend. Will he remember mates before dates?
Also you can view a short video for this book here —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZobdblnbos 
And You can follow the author, Keris Stainton (she’s lovely), here —> https://twitter.com/keris'
I think Jessie hearts NYC is beautifully written in how we switch between perspectives and how we given mini-heart attacks when the see each other and to be honest I was screaming at them 'LOVE EACH OTHER.' during these parts of the book...I'm so normal *facepalm*
That's all my book reviews for today but I may update this post during the week or further along in the series (i'll tweet if i do).
Happy Friday!
@Team_Haymitch
Kendal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.