Saturday, 29 December 2012

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green



I got this book for Christmas along with the other three John Green solo books. This one looked the most interesting and people always seem to rave about it the most so I thought I would read it first.

I am so glad I chose this one first.

People are always telling me that John Green books change your life. I knew of John before reading the book obviously because of him and Hank at Vlogbrothers, and I could tell before even reading it that it would be good.

But oh my goodness, I did not expect that.

I don't even know how to explain how it was so good. It's not like the plot was magnificent, because although it was original there was nothing that stood out in the way of storyline.

And I am in no way bashing his book. Just wait for it.

The thing that struck me the most, that really captured my heart about his writing, was that he made the teenage characters SMART.

Not only did he throw a few facts about philosophy and science in there, but he made it come from the main characters who happened to be teens. He wasn't afraid to use his own very adult intelligence in children, knowing that his characters were able to handle it.

You might not be seeing where I'm going here, but let me explain further. His books are for young adults, who are perhaps from the age of 13 through to adulthood. A normal author would not dare to include all of that information knowing that they were catering to a 13 year old, but John did. He didn't underestimate his reader's intelligence and this is what I adored.

A lot of young adult authors spoon-feed their book to us, and over explain the points that they think might go over our heads. This often dumbs down a book and people who want more of a challenge do not come away from the book satisfied.

But without doing any of that, John effortlessly writes what he wants and does it so brilliantly. It didn't take me long to finish the book but I felt completely satisfied with the short time I did have with this book.


What it's about (without giving too much away):

Hazel Lancaster first meets Augustus Waters in a support group for cancer sufferers that her mother makes her go to. From there, nothing much changes apart from the fact that she has found somebody that she can be 'okay' with. Augustus has a packet of cigarettes that he never lights and a crooked smile, but most of all he has Hazel and that's why he is okay.

(There are no spoilers in that.)



The Fault In Our Stars is a book that I would recommend to literally EVERYONE, as it is full of ups, downs, and everything else in-between.

Augustus Waters said in this book "It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

And it has been, dear book. It really has.

DFTBA,
The Book Critic x

3 comments:

  1. Such a lovely review. I also loved this book. It is the first one I read from John Green even though I knew of him way before I got my copy. In addition to it being touching, deep and heartfelt, it was also amusing and fun, and maybe had a bit of humour that not everybody would appreciate, but I enjoyed every minute spent reading it. Currently trying to get my hands on more John Green books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is going to change you. It's breathtaking and heartbreaking and desperately witty, all at the same time, and you should definitely read it. You'll come out of it a different person than when you started it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.