Monday, 21 January 2013

Review: The review of Dan Howell and Phil Lester on BBCR1

I fooled you into thinking this was going to be a book review, didn't I?

But no. This is a different kind of review that I felt needed to be shared.

If you don't know much about Dan Howell and Phil Lester, where have you been? Outside?

I won't go into them that much, because there is way too much to be said about them. But, if you are ever roaming around Youtube one day and suddenly get the feeling to watch something in any way connected to Delia Smith, llamas, and placentas... Dan and Phil are your guys.

The 'Phandom' as we are called to Dan and Phil, got the shock of our lives last night. After trying to recover from the amazing rollercoaster ride that was their radio show, a reporter for The Guardian posted her review of the BBCR1 duo. If you haven't seen the post, it's not worth your time, but if you would like to read it then you can read it here .

When I say it's not worth your time, I mean it in the least offensive way possible. But apart from the fact that it is uninformative, it is just really BADLY WRITTEN.

I was sat reading it last night and my first reaction was:




And then I thought carefully about it, and all that article represents is one woman who doesn't like the way Dan and Phil look so she is sat at her computer like:




Her job is to write, so if you think about it then the situation must have been that she needed something to write for a deadline and pretty much wrote the easiest thing that came to her. Although, I still didn't appreciate the comments she wrote such as this:

"For much of the show we just saw Dan (assertive, mild attack of the Biebers in the hair department) and Phil (nerdy, same haircut) talking on the mics. There were a couple of in-studio pranks, notably wrapping each other with clingfilm, but essentially, the talky bits of the show were like any talky bits of any Radio 1 show, except the presenters were face on to the camera and appeared to have a combined age of 14."

I think that was the paragraph that physically hurt me the most. As can be seen by my numerous tweets to The Guardian here.

Ahh, now let's go on to that. The woman in question, Miranda Sawyer, obviously didn't realise how many Danosaurs and Phillions (the official names of the two Phandoms) there really are. So, after posting the somewhat harsh article, she received plenty of hate from the however many hundreds of thousands of fans. I tried not to be hurtful in my own tweets to her and I did manage to apologise for many overreactions, but it doesn't stop me from hating the article as much as another Phandom member. 

However hard she tries to deny it, there is certainly no denying that she knew exactly what she was writing and how that was going to effect Dan and Phil. If Dan and Phil get hurt, then we feel it too - no matter how childish it may sound to someone like Miranda Sawyer.

This article was meant to be commenting on a radio show, and yet the first thing she picks up on is the way Dan and Phil look. In any normal radio show, looks would never be a problem, so in my opinion she had no right to say that they have 'Bieber' haircuts and the very poorly backed up opinion she has of Phil being the 'nerdy' one of the two. So that was her first mistake. Poor evidence and looking to match a face with the radio.

Her second, and probably biggest mistake, was choosing the people she was going to take her opinions out on. 

This is Dan Howell:


But most of his fans will know him to have added cat whiskers and signature llama hat. 

This is Phil Lester:



Again, he could normally be seen out and about with cat whiskers on his face and a toy lion on his shoulder.

Attractive boys, right?

Exactly. You look at the faces and automatically assume that this is all the Phandom like them for. Attractive, but certainly not boys. Dan is 21 while Phil is turning 26 at the end of January. I would hardly call this a combined age of 14.

Don't you see? I gave you a little bit of information about them too. This information, if not combined with the pictures, would make you think that they are seven year old boys. 

But they're not. They are incredible people who have not only got the recognition they deserve but who have adoring fans who will support them on any decision they make throughout their careers. Their videos and amazing amount of interaction with fans has helped people out of depression and other genuinely tough times in their lives. They would do anything for their fans and so many thousands of people respect them for that. 

Their videos, which I would hardly call 'daft', are of a funny nature and they open up to us because they know that they can trust us. The Phandom is unlike any other fan base that I have encountered and I love everyone who I talk to through Twitter because of it. 

Dan and Phil are hilarious, amazing people, but most of all they are OUR hilarious and amazing people.

Whatever anyone writes about them, we will support them. We are a strong group of people, and if you think that one review is going to break us then you can prepare to think again.

To Miranda Sawyer: I still respect your choices on posting the review, but that doesn't mean I can't dislike it. You obviously judged Dan and Phil too quickly, and with them only having four hours of proper air time on the radio I can understand why you didn't receive enough information. 

I think I shall stop this rant now, and allow you to carry on with your previously scheduled lives on the internet. 

Besides, Dan has a new video uploading today - so I suppose I will talk to you all on the other side of that.

The Book Critic x

(Here are some screenshots from the radio show yesterday, in case you missed it.)











23 comments:

  1. :)

    Loving their show!

    *High five*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five back to you* I find the radio show hilarious, but I just absolutely adore their videos :)

      Delete
  2. God, you are brilliant. I can't write but now I won't have to. You have my emotions right here. Thank you so fuckin much. The Phandom is lucky to have you among us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a nice thing to say! Aww thank you, glad you enjoyed the post, because tbh I didn't enjoy the original review that much. <3

      Delete
  3. Thank you for picking up on this! Nobody could have said it better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! So glad you liked it :D

      Delete
  4. I really loved it. I'm pretty new to the Phandom, but it already has grown in my heart, because yeah, you are right, Phil and Dan are two amazing persons and no one that no nothing about them can say things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I just nominated you for a blogging award over at my blog, Inklined. Check it out to see the details.

    ~Sarah Faulkner

    http://inklinedwriters.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! U actually understand our phandom! Thanks for standing up for us, I hope that woman reads this and realizes what she said! Imagine how much of an idiot she feels right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love this reply, thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  7. thankyou i am so glad you took time out of your day to speak for our phandoms you're awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan and Phil <3 ... this is like the best thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way this was written, honest, but fair. Very respectable. You made Danosaurs and Philions everywhere proud.

    But good point: "combined age of 14" I don't think that most 14 year-old children have the self-awareness to even begin to go through existential crisis (in fact, many adults don't have it either) and both of the pair have gone through it.

    Bottom line: my rage was cooled by your well-written article. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a brilliant comment, thank you for sharing your views!

      Delete
  10. Love Dan and Phil so much and can't believe she'd write something like that and judge them so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of a bad move considering how many viewers they both have as well, she must have had some awful comments directed at her. Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  11. amazing <3 Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww you're so kind, thank you for reading! :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you sooooo sooooooo much for taking your time to write this! Oh wow, I'm so happy, that's all my feelings right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling this way! Thanks for taking the time to read :)

      Delete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.