Monday, 19 August 2013

Review: Infinite Sky by CJ Flood





This is the perfect summer read. On the beach, in the garden, by the pool... There is no better time than summer to get stuck into this book. 

Infinite Sky is an insightful book about a girl named Iris Dancy who lives in the countryside, with a semi-alcoholic father and an older brother who went off the rails after their mother left without a warning or a proper reason. The story is centred around travellers and the idea of being your own person, so when a family of travellers illegally set up camp in Iris' family farm, this is where the real trouble starts. Iris is keen to get to know the boy of the travelling family, Trick, and doing so sparks a friendship that could just save her from being completely alone in the World.

Of course, both her father and older brother, Sam, disapprove of the family camping out in their field. Against both of their wishes, Iris befriends Trick and starts to actually enjoy her summer... Even after she falls out with her best friend Matty, whose mother is unbearable and plays the "I'm so sorry your mother ran away" card every time she goes over to Matty's house. But nothing is ever simple, and the grudge the rest of the Dancy family have against travellers makes a tragic ending for the story. I'm not going to spoil anything, so no spoilers will be used in this review.

In my opinion, this was everything I was hoping the story would be and more. It was extremely insightful into the world of travellers and the way they are stereotyped, which is a large issue that arises in the book. CJ Flood included many hard hitting subject matters and dealt with them in an appropriate way, whilst still managing to make the reader empathise with Iris and anyone else who was having a hard time.

The book made me giggle in places, but mostly I felt terribly sorry for the innocent travellers who were wrongly accused for all sorts of things and had to battle with the stereotyping commonly seen in real life. The love story that formed between Iris and Trick was very subtle and did not ruin the tone of the book nor the importance of the friendship for this book, and I commend Flood on the success of this factor.

I think what I loved about this book the most was that the characters all had their own minds. Each character was perfectly drawn up and I could understand their personal stories and feelings, which is a rare thing in an individual book. That just made it all the more special! I couldn't put the book down and I practically devoured it. It was a powerful book that left me satisfied after I had finished. 

I would recommend this book to pretty much everyone. I think it is suitable for most adults who want to experience a fresh concept and a different perspective of life. There were many beautiful quotes that I took out of this book and I will carry them with me for a long time. This is why I gave the book 5/5 stars. 

Get it on your 'to read' list now! 

My scrabble rating for this book:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.