Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Kendal's Column: On the sixth day of christmas

Resolution (noun)
1) a firm decision to do or not to do something

It's New Years Eve Eve and at this time of the year a lot of people around the world will be making New Year's Resolutions.

I feel like people under estimate the term 'resolution' (which is a FIRM DECISION)  and make over ambitious promises to themselves (I'm not going to name examples of these because some people do achieve what may seem like the impossible at the start, and major kudos to them). Some people barely spend 5 seconds on their resolution each year; sometimes coming up with blatantly unrealistic goals to achieve in a ridiculously short timeframe that they've set themselves.
Doing this has the potential to make you feel bad about yourself for not achieving your target-which is the complete opposite of what the result of a resolution should be.
Spend time on making a resolution and make it realistic and make it actually mean something instead of some spiel that you'll just rattle out during an awkward elevator encounter with an acquaintance.

New Year also comes with numerous people spewing out 'New year, new me' with few being truly dedicated to it and I ask myself 'why new year?' as in,
"I understand that a New Year is a good benchmark to change aspects of your life but, with this statement, you're indicating that you have been unhappy with said aspects  for some time, hence my question 'why new year?'. I understand that it may be confusing to make such a statement in ,say , September, when you originally began to feel unhappy but, if aspects of your life are bad then why not immediately change them. 
It's like a waiter bringing you cold soup and you saying 'No, I must wait an hour before I have the waiter take it back, even though I am fully able to have fresh, hot soup now. I'm just going to sit here being disgusted at the fact I have cold soup that is getting colder'. 
If there is something in your life that makes you feel bad then change it.

On the other hand, I do fully understand that some people use the new years resolution for it's purpose which is to make a definite choice to make a change for the better within your life such as smoking and healthier eating.

However, personally, I think i will always think of making a New Years Resolutions as strange because, in my honest opinion, if you wanted to really change something then you wouldn't need the incentive of  being your 'resolution' to do it.
If a 'New Years' Resolution is needed to make a change in life then there probably isn't full investment in making the change.
Besides, as long as you are happy and healthy then the world is your oyster.

Happy Christmas!
@Team_Haymitch
Kendal
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.