Friday, 17 January 2014

Kendal's Column: The 5th Wave-Rick Yancey (+updates to Kendal's Column)

Before I start with the review I'd just like to give you some updates for the new year about Kendal's Column

1) Kendal's Column should be more 'on schedule' this year as ,last year, I used to attend a drama club on Friday nights which stopped me writing posts until really late (if at all (sorry)) and commitments on other weeknights meant I couldn't schedule posts but, I am now too old to attend the drama club so my Fridays have freed up ie. I have time to post!
2) Goodreads- after failing to achieve my target of reading 52 books last year, I have set my year target a lot lower considering school and such. However, if possible I would always like to have a book on my 'currently reading' pile because last year, to my shame, this was not the case. Also, in 2012, I read a RIDICULOUS amount of books and it makes me really upset that i'm probably not reading half as much now as I did then.
Also, considering this blog is a book blog, i haven't done that many reviews but i'm determined that's going to change.
3) Lifescout badges- I wrote 7 posts on my life scout badges. one on the last friday of every month however Lifescouts stopped releasing new badges so I had nothing more to write about (I know the whole idea is to go out and do more but lets not be nit-picky here- I can do more fun things after exams and such). However,  Lifescouts may release new badges in the new year and at that point i will recommence my Lifescout badge posts

To summaries this 'short' update, the column's are going to be on schedule, i want to read more and Lifescouts may return...maybe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)The 5th Wave- Rick Yancey

The 5th wave is here.
Cassie has survived 4, will she survive the 5th?

Rating: Friday
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


Okay let me be clear here- YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. 
THIS BOOK is AMAZING.
Imagine if books were rollercoasters- THIS WOULD BE DISNEY'S SPACE MOUNTAIN. 

Basically, aliens descend on earth but they don't actually communicate with us, or set foot on the ground...or even do anything for 10 days (whilst, naturally, the human race into chaos). 
On the tenth day, the 'Others' go lights out on the human race.
Anything with battery or a power source of any kind is gone- it doesn't work and there's no way of getting it to work.
The first wave takes out half a million people due to planes cutting out and the fact that a) no one can call the emergency services because no phones and b) help can't get there fast enough as people can only travel on foot or by bicycle..
The second, third and fourth wave kill even more (I don't really wanna say what these are because of minor spoilers but you get the idea that humanity is on the brink of extinction).

Told from multiple points of view, the book leaves you guessing and doubles guessing, with plot twists left right and centre.

Even though the book is narrated from 'unannounced' changes in POVs, the plot follows Cassie (for Cassiopeia) who is 16 and how she is desperately trying to stay alive.
I loved Cassie's narration. She IS a teenage girl in an apocalypse. She's scared and lonely but also witty and kind of relatable (i like to think i would think like Cassie in this situation).
All she has is a stuffed bear and a gun that her father gave her with the warning 'trust no one'.

The book, admittedly, does have some gruesome parts and those can be quite distressing but you need to keep in mind that this IS an apocalypse and the book has to be realistic about that, otherwise the book wouldn't be believable and, therefore, wouldn't be as good.

I can't really say much more because I don't want to give any more away than the blurb does but, for people who have read the book, I have two things (whilst still trying to be vague enough for not to be a spoiler)

1) I KNEW THAT ABOUT THAT CHARACTER (x2)
2) I KNEW IT WAS HIM.

The book is in talks to be made into a film and I feel like crying because i think it's all going to be to much.
The sequel: Infinite Sea is out 7th May 2014 (*internal screaming*)



Happy Friday!
@Team_Haymitch
Kendal
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.