Monday, 13 January 2014

Review: Love and Misadventure by Lang Leav



Love and Misadventure by Lang Leav is a poetry book about... well... love and misadventure. I was given this book for Christmas by my parents as I had been raving about it to them beforehand, since I have seen many a review on Tumblr and I follow the author herself on there. There are three parts to the book: Misadventure, A Circus of Sorrows, and Love. 

The first thing I noticed about this book was the front cover. It is absolutely gorgeous. Lang is an artist as well as an author, so the cover has some of her artwork on it, but what I really loved the most about it was the almost rubber feel. Don't ask me what the real name for the material is - I'm not good at that sort of thing.

   
Not to mention the girl on the front totally looked like me when I had a bob-cut.

Then you get into the book, and it's 150% better than the front cover. My personal favourites were the poems in prose, but the whole book is full of small poems that don't take long to read but stay forever in your heart. For a poetry book, it is of substantial size, with 75 poems in total. And for all of that, it's not a bad price at all.

I read it right through to the end in no time at all, and I picked out my favourites. They are as follows:

  • Just Friends - page 9
  • Heart on the Line - page 13
  • Sea of Strangers - page 15
  • A Thank you Note - page 21
  • A Stranger - page 29
  • The Wanderer - page 41
  • A Timeline - page 47
  • Rogue Planets - page 53
  • First Love - page 111
  • Soul Mates - 119
  • A Fairy Tale - page 121
  • Always - page 123
  • Souls - page 135
  • Codependency - page 151

Most of the poems are quite short, but I didn't mind that. Sometimes it's nice to just relax and read short poems that don't require much analysing - this was a massive perk to this book. The poems don't try to have hidden meanings. They are about pure and hard love, as well as pain, which is touched upon in The Circus of Sorrows.

I personally loved this book, and everyone that I have seen posting reviews think exactly the same. This is definitely one to go on your recommended reading list!



A Christmas Day selfie, when I started and finished the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.