Monday, 6 January 2014

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


"Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faeire, she's falling for a shapeshifter and she's the only person who can see through paranomal's glamours, but still. Normal."

Evie thinks she is a normal girl in a not-so-normal world. She works for the IPCA, the International Paranormal Containment Agreement, and she thinks she is the only human working for the agency. But as paranormals all over the world start dying, she finds out that she isn't as normal as she thinks. As she tries to figure out what, or who, is causing these deaths, she also discovers that she is the foundations for a dark prophecy that predicts death to every single paranormal the world contains.

What can I say about this book? It is fast paced and flirty to say the least! I read this over the summer and I couldn't find a book that beat it in pure excitement and action. 

Evie is a strong-willed female protagonist, and that's why she was the perfect main character. She is also freaking hilarious. I noticed that the book makes a sneaky dig at Twilight on page 2 - it mentions vampires sparkling - which caused me to giggle like a small child. The book definitely wouldn't have been as entertaining if Evie didn't narrate it, and I thank Kiersten SO MUCH for that. She really did lift my mood. 

Paranormalcy caught my attention all the way through. There was not one moment that I wished wasn't included in the book. Reth, Evie's faerie ex-boyfriend, didn't actually repulse me to the point where I couldn't read the book anymore, as I originally thought he would. He is supposed to be the slimy boy that just won't let go, and although this was portrayed well it didn't come off as too creepy.

Well, apart from his killer line "Let me fill you". But he was talking about his magic filling her body to the point where she would become numb to the pain of the world. Not that the context made a difference... I still snorted with laughter. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything at the time of reading that, or otherwise I would have 100% spat it out. Possibly through my nose. 

There were many very interesting paranormals that made it into the chapters. This book literally had everything. It was a paranormal treat!

Overall, I gave it 5/5 cups of tea:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.