Saturday, 25 January 2014

Saturday: birthday book haul!

Hello! It was my birthday at the beginning of January and I got a few books, so I thought I would share them with you! Two of these were on my booklist but the other two were happy surprises. In order of the photo below, here they are:
  1. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  2. The Republic by Plato
  3. A Treatise of Human Nature by David Hume
  4. The Official Adventure Time Encyclopaedia by Martin Olson


Beautiful!





I happen to know a lot about this book before I begin to read it. This book was written around the 60's, where many sub-cultures of people began to grow. Whereas on one side you would have the "Mods" who would wear Dr Martins, ride scooters and take drugs, this book originated from the "Beatniks" who were middle/upper class, educated people, mainly studying philosophy and literature. Jack Kerouac was a Beatnik, and wrote about what he was interested in. The hippie movement was actually partly inspired by Beatniks, but of course they are very different. 







Plato wrote many plays as well as being one of the most well-known philosophers in existence, and he explores philosophic and ethical concepts within these plays. The Republic is an ongoing conversation between Plato and Socrates, and asks what is goodness; what is reality; what is knowledge? Desmond Lee has translated this play into simple English... well, as simple as philosophy can be. It shows the progression from philosophy then into western philosophy - and I can't wait to read it! I told my philosophy teacher about this present and she found it quite funny that I would choose to study philosophy on my own time. The Republic isn't exactly an easy read, but it will be fine for me.




I recently found out that my philosophy teacher hates David Hume, which is strange considering we have pretty much the same views and the same opinions on everything. We're like two peas in a pod! So, you can tell that I'm a bit apprehensive to read this book now, but I flicked through it to get a quote for a recent essay and from what I saw he has solid philosophic views. A Treatise of Human Nature was published in the 18th century and takes empirical principles to look at the world. This copy is slightly bigger than a standard A5 book, but it adds to the interesting feel. Let's hope I can get my philosophy teacher to like David Hume! 










The last book I acquired was the Adventure Time Encyclopaedia, which is a must have for all AT nerds. My friends know that I love Adventure Time and my best friend gave me this book along with a 3D Doctor Who much, which is also pretty cool. This book takes you through every character, every setting, every backstory, every land, and is so colourful and beautiful. I might do an Adventure Time haul one day so you can see how much I have! 







Overall, it was a really good birthday and I loved the books I got. Most of them are of historical context or pure philosophy, so I apologise for the lack of fiction! A lot of you may not be interested in philosophy, but maybe I can change your mind.

Next week is a graphic novel haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.