Saturday, 15 March 2014

Book Haul: Graphic novels


From the left: Persepolis, The Complete Maus, and Blue is the Warmest Colour

Hello! It's Saturday again and so I have another book haul I want to show you. This was from a while ago but I reaaally wanted to show you all my beautiful graphic novels. I bought these on a whim from the Waterstones website because I'd found a 10% discount code before the website was closed down for refurbishment. 


1. Blue is the Warmest Colour by Julie Maroh

You all know I've been wanting this one for a long time after I fell in love with the storyline. I first noticed the movie poster in an indie cinema where I live, and since I'm studying French I thought I would check it out and perhaps go and see it. It turned out to be rated 18+, so I researched the story anyway and saw the trailer and felt an instant connection to this story. Don't ask me why... I don't relate to the story at all, but it just had a certain vibe to it. This was originally published in France as La Vie D'Adele or more commonly Bleu est le colour chaude. I have to admit that I read it as soon as it came in the post. If you know of the movie version, you will probably think I am some kind of creep for wanting it so badly, but I assure you the novel is different. I will put a review up of it soon!




2. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

I learnt about this graphic novel in French class and so I was happy that Waterstones had it in stock. This book is about culture, family and young people in difficult situations. I am yet to read it but it is a nice bulky size so it looks promising. Most popular in France I think, but there is also an animated movie version that my French teacher spoke about. It looks gorgeous on my shelf!





3. The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

This is a graphic novel with a difference. It is a tale of Nazi Germany, and each character has a tail. Set in WW2, the Jewish mice are being hunted down by the German cats. This one was slightly more expensive but so worth it. I can't wait to read it because it looks so interesting. I bought this with the rest of the haul shortly after I had finished The Book Thief, and I do love books about World War Two. 


There's the haul! I will leave you with a song from the soundtrack of the movie Blue is the Warmest Colour, called 'I follow rivers' by Lykke Li. I love her music!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.