Friday, 7 March 2014

Kendal's Column: Eleanor & Park- Rainbow Rowell


Eleanor & Park
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.
Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.
Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.

Rating: Thursday (a questionable one)
I was recommended this book by writer Keris Stainton (some time ago (sorry)) and since then a few friends have told me to read it on separate occasions which meant i went into this book expecting an 'oomph' of love for it and, boy, did it deliver.
I ADORED the main body of this book. It starts with Eleanor just starting at a new school, not knowing anyone. She gets on the bus and she meets Park, who's a bit of an outcast himself. From the first time Eleanor meets Park, I was with them in the pace that their relationship was going, it wasn't annoyingly rush or painstakingly slow. Their relationship developed and blossomed beautifully. I could talk to you about any one of the scenes or characters in the book for hours because the characters their relationships are beautiful.
The novell is a recipe of quirky, nerdy,sarcastic teenagers living life with some serious issues interwoven.
Eleanor's home is breaking apart and her Mother can't see the toxicity that surrounds her family.
Whilst I like to think that I am aware of society and the bad and good things that happen within it, the fact the Eleanor's background isn't a fiction still terrifies me. When Eleanor's story reaches its climax, there were tears.

So why a 'questionable' Thursday?
Let me talk to you about my opinions on the final chapter(s).
Well, I'm not entirely sure how i feel about them- i don't know whether i'm mad or upset or still in a post-book emotional void but I feel like the last chapter could have been more satisfying as i feel like i need a sequel or a novella. However, it's a stand-alone contemporary so a sequel of any kind is unlikely to say the least.
The ending wasn't definitive and that's great as an author, to have, but its a terrible thing, as a reader, to have to go through (it's really selfish, i know).
Nevertheless i would recommend this book (and have done) because i have never read a contemporary novel like this and it was an amazing read.

Note: I think @Bookfangirling is doing a review of this book soon, i will link it (here) when it's up. It'll be interesting to see what her opinions are.

This book contains infrequent strong language (all justified) as a warning to those that are sensitive to strong language.

Happy Friday!
@KendalFace_
Kendal
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.