Saturday, 24 January 2015

Saturday: Birthday Book Haul and what you've missed

photo from my instagram

It was my birthday around the beginning of January and it was a big one.

Yep, the only birthday I've actually been excited for in a long while; I'm now 18!

This was important to me, not only because it means I finish school this year, but because it means I have a lot more flexibility with this blog. I can now begin to make the blog better, by signing up for affiliate programmes, buying themes, requesting ARCs and going on fun book-themed trips around the country. This includes events and indie book shop hunts, yay!

As I was saying, it was a pretty rad birthday, because I had a big party where all my friends and family could come together. We had food (lots and lots of cake included) and danced to Taylor Swift and we all looked awesome. I usually hate parties as well, but this one was special.

I received some lovely gifts as well, and I wanted to show you a couple of my book themed treats.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

photo from my instagram

2014 was the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War, and Britain made a hearty effort to remember all of the people who gave their lives for us. One of my friends got me this tiny version of All Quiet and it is just gorgeous - the picture doesn't do it justice! The edges of the pages are golden and lovely and I will really cherish this book.

2. The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett

photo from my instagram
This is a childhood classic and I don't know whether I've told you this, but my nan has a lovely old version (it might be first edition but I would have to double check). My friend's boyfriend (another friend of mine) got me this tiny version with the same gold edges to compliment my other friend's gift, and I thought that was really sweet!     

3. A Waterstones voucher                       



photo from my instagram

photo from my instagram

There's nothing much to say about this other than I can't wait to spend it!

Also, this isn't a complete list of bookish gifts because my friends all chipped in to get me stuff as a group and one of my things hasn't arrived yet. I therefore haven't got their gifts, but rumour has it there's another Waterstones voucher involved!

The only thing you've missed this week is that I took part in the #UKYA chat on Friday night and made some new blogger friends, as well as having had a wonderful discussion about YA books and the genre itself. 

My next book haul will be next week, as usual!

1 comment:

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.