Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: TABINOF by Dan Howell and Phil Lester


Title: The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire: The world of Dan and Phil
Author: Dan Howell and Phil Lester
Page Count: 224
Publisher: Ebury Press
Release Date: 8th October 2015
Format Available: Hardcover, Kindle
Original Language: English
Genre: Semi-Autobiographical

This is a post that I have been really excited to write about, and one that if I'm honest, I never thought I would write in the first place. 

I'm sure those who have read my blog a couple of times will know that Dan and Phil are two of my favourite youtubers. For any of you who don't quite know who they are, Phil started up a youtube account, AmazingPhil, in 2006, and met his friend Dan, who was essentially a viewer of Phil's, a couple of years later. This led Dan to start up his own channel named Danisnotonfire and ever since then they have been really good friends and have a collaborative gaming channel as well as sharing a flat. They also have a regular radio show on BBCR1 every first Monday of each month, so they are pretty busy/awesome people.

And now, guess what? They have a book due to be released this October, aptly titled The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire. This will compliment their tour around England in October and November, again suitably named The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire. 

I remember the moment I found out about this. I was checking my phone on a whim and I suddenly got two twitter notifications from Dan and Phil, just posting the link to a video. I was curious so I went onto my laptop to view it, and I couldn't have been luckier to check my phone at that exact moment, because it announced the book and the tour, with the link to buy tickets straight away.




I knew they were going to sell really quickly and I am so lucky to have viewed the trailer the moment it was released, so I managed to secure VIP tickets. 

I know what you're thinking - aren't all youtubers bringing out books these days? What's so special about Dan and Phil? 


Well, I could make a whole other post about the development of youtube culture into mainstream media and the problems within this, but I don't need to for Dan and Phil. I respect all people who want to sell a book as long as they have written the book themselves, and it only becomes a problem for me personally if youtubers don't put in the work to receive the monetary reward they are getting. Dan and Phil have already said that they have written the book (Dan more specifically mentioning that they spent nine months at least just writing it) and there is more about it in this video:





They wrote it, and that's good enough for me (huge respect to them for working so hard when they could have just as easily let others do the work for them, by the way). 

If you like Dan and Phil, and want a physical copy of their youtube personas bound forever in a book, then this is the book for you. It sounds like it will be semi-autobiographical with funny stories, talking about their youtube process, and their lives that have changed massively over the last six years. 

I really don't think I have to try and persuade you anymore, so if you think you want to be part of their journey, then pre-order their book on their site, Amazon, Waterstones, and the Penguin RandomHouse website

If you're reading this, tell me if you're excited for this release too! Is anyone else going to see them on tour? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.