Monday, 29 June 2015

Review: We Were Liars by E.Lockhart

Photograph from my Instagram @bookfangirlingblogger

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E.Lockhart
Cover Artist: Getty Images/kangg-gg
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Release Date: 15th May 2014
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Count: 240
Original Language: English
Format Read: Paperback 
Other books in series: N/A
Movie Adaptation: N/A



Photograph from my Instagram

I read this book back in January but got caught up in exams and school-work and so it has been put off until today. I am absolutely DYING to tell you everything about this book but unfortunately I can't give too much away, however I can give my thoughts.

Kendal also did a review of this a while ago and you can see this here.

Blurb:

We are liars.

We are beautiful and privileged,

We are cracked and broken.

A tale of love and romance,

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?

You decide.


The first page:



*Spoiler Alert - this review does not assume you are familiar with the story*

I think I'm going to have to talk in some kind of code, and this will also be a short review compared to my other blog posts, because the novel is advertised as being extremely hard to explain without spoiling everything. And they are soooo right.

I'm just going to start off by saying that I love it when a book outsmarts me, and this one really did. I honestly had no idea what was going on, in the best way possible. I really respect the fact that the plot is a mystery until the very end, and this is it's biggest selling point. How did I not guess Cadence was guilty of something?

This is ultimately a book about class privilege and how money can destroy a family. This is the best way to accurately describe it without completely ruining it. The characters are shallow and greedy for a reason, and liars too.

There have been a lot of mixed reviews about this book, but I'm guessing that those who hate it have no patience waiting for the truth to come out. For me, it is a modern masterpiece that faultlessly delivers a story and builds its characters. THAT'S HOW ITS DONE.

One final note to leave you with - technically the group are not 'The Liars' - everyone else around them is. Either that, or they refuse to talk, not technically making them liars. Do with that information what you will.

Overall, I ate this book up but it in turn chewed me up and spat me out. We Were Liars is as close to perfection as a novel of this genre can be, and so I'm gladly giving it 5/5 cups of tea. If you haven't already read it, please do! It will keep you guessing and you'll be glad it did.




About the author:

Emily Jenkins (born 1967), who sometimes uses the pen name E. Lockhart, is an American writer of children's picture books,young-adult novels, and adult fiction. She is known best for the Ruby Oliver quartet (which begins with The Boyfriend List), The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and We Were LiarsUnder her real name Jenkins has collaborated with illustrators to produce children's picture books.

Where to find E Lockhart: twitter,

2 comments:

  1. I cried so hard at the end. The twist is nothing I could ever imagine, utterly brilliant. We were liars is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a book you'll NEED to read again right after you finish it. And you'll enjoy it twice as much the second time around. You'll be awed that you did not see this coming. Sigh. I wish books like this one came around more often.

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Ipe Decking information

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.