Thursday, 2 July 2015

Book Mail and why its exciting

Photograph from my Instagram @bookfangirlingblogger

I pre-ordered a book for the first time ever a couple of days ago, and it arrived at my door today, on the day of release. Yes, that book is Life with a Sprinkle of Glitter by Louise Pentland aka Sprinkle of Glitter, and I'm really glad that I pre-ordered it.

As a book blogger, you would expect me to pre-order books all the time. Nope. That doesn't happen, because I usually get sucked into bookshops and all of my money goes on the books already on the shelves, so I don't have enough left to pre-order even more.

I pre-ordered this book in particular because I'm actually going to my first proper author book-signing on Saturday to meet the lady in question, Louise. Its technically my second ever book-signing and author meet up, as I met Joseph Delaney at my local library (that has now closed down) when I was about ten, and I had a long chat with him about how to make it in the publishing world. That story, however, is for another day.

When this book was delivered today, I was so excited. I saw the delivery van pull up and I did a little "squee!" before running down the stairs and collecting the package. When I opened it, I was just so happy to have it on the day of publication, and it was a kind of adrenaline rush that I now crave to experience more often. 

I'm a crazy book lady... these things really excite me!

I think its just because getting books on the day they come out fills me with a sense of strange belonging in the book blogger community and it makes me feel like everyone who gets the books on exactly the same day, at around the same time, is sharing an experience that can still feel rather private, since it is just you at home reading the book. I personally love reading everyone's reactions to book mail and their excitement to read the book that has nationally or internationally only been out for the day that they received it. Its one of the best things about books - they are so personal but can be so socially relevant as well.

I will definitely blog about my book-signing and meet-up with Louise, as I am extra excited as it is my first ever celebrity/youtuber meet up! She just comes across as such a lovely person and so down to earth, so it should be fine. I don't know whether I am allowed pictures as it said on the email that I'm not, but that could change on the day. We'll just have to see!

Also coming up on Saturday is my #IBW2015 post with my haul and tales of independent bookshop adventures, so I'll keep you posted and let you know when that's up.

That's all for now! Is anyone else meeting Louise this month? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.