Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: A Game for all the Family by Sophie Hannah


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly spot hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and involves bloggers spotlighting books that they can't wait to be released later in the year. Today I'm talking about A Game for all the Family by Sophie Hannah, and I am SO EXCITED.

Information

Title: A Game for all the Family
Author: Sophie Hannah
Page Count: 432
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
Release Date: 13th August 2015
Format Available: Hardcover, Paperback, Kindle, Audio CD
Original Language: English
Genre: Adult Horror/Mystery

Description

Justine thought she knew who she was, until an anonymous caller seemed to know better...
After escaping London and a career that nearly destroyed her, Justine plans to spend her days doing as little as possible in her beautiful home in Devon.
But soon after the move, her daughter Ellen starts to withdraw when her new best friend, George, is unfairly expelled from school. Justine begs the head teacher to reconsider, only to be told that nobody's been expelled - there is, and was, no George.
Then the anonymous calls start: a stranger, making threats that suggest she and Justine share a traumatic past and a guilty secret - yet Justine doesn't recognise her voice. When the caller starts to talk about three graves - two big and one small, to fit a child - Justine fears for her family's safety.
If the police can't help, she'll have to eliminate the danger herself, but first she must work out who she's supposed to be...

Why I can't wait

As soon as I saw the blurb I was instantly excited. If you know me, then you'll know I love crime and mystery novels, and if there is horror thrown in too, then I can't contain myself. This novel sounds so Gothic and chilling, and I have heard of Sophie Hannah before but never read her work, so it should be interesting to read this knowing nothing else about her previous work.

This sounds like the type of novel that if you are scared easily, then you probably shouldn't even think of reading. I especially love anything to do with the paranormal, and since there looks as though there are going to be mentions of ghosts/spirits, I am soooo going to have to pre-order this!

Does anyone else like horror and crime novels? Do like the sound of this book? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. You're going to love this !!!! I got an ARC and did a review on my blog http://all-the-bright-places.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/a-game-for-all-family.html?m=1 it's so good !!!!!

    Beth
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like the book, but I have to warn you that there isn't much paranormal going on there. All too real crime and mayhem... Here's my review:
    http://www.crimefictionlover.com/2015/07/a-game-for-all-the-family/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! I still want to read it though - it looks so interesting! :)

      Delete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.