Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Wind/Pinball by Haruki Murakami


Its hard to admit that I've never read any of Murakami's work, although I've heard a lot of great things about his over novels such as The Strange Library and Norwegian Wood. This double sided book containing two of his earlier novels looks just as interesting and I would love to purchase it once it has been released!

Information

Title: Wind/Pinball
Author: Haruki Murakami
Page Count: 336
Publisher: Harvill Secker
Release Date: 4th August 2015
Format Available: Kindle, Hardcover, Paperback, Audio CD
Original Language: Japanese
Genre: Fiction

Description

If you’re the sort of guy who raids the refrigerators of silent kitchens at three o’clock in the morning, you can only write accordingly.
That’s who I am.'
Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 are Haruki Murakami’s earliest novels. They follow the fortunes of the narrator and his friend, known only by his nickname, the Rat. In Hear the Wind Sing the narrator is home from college on his summer break. He spends his time drinking beer and smoking in J’s Bar with the Rat, listening to the radio, thinking about writing and the women he has slept with, and pursuing a relationship with a girl with nine fingers.
Three years later, in Pinball, 1973, he has moved to Tokyo to work as a translator and live with indistinguishable twin girls, but the Rat has remained behind, despite his efforts to leave both the town and his girlfriend. The narrator finds himself haunted by memories of his own doomed relationship but also, more bizarrely, by his short-lived obsession with playing pinball in J’s Bar. This sends him on a quest to find the exact model of pinball machine he had enjoyed playing years earlier: the three-flipper Spaceship.

Why I can't wait

The last time I read a reversible book was about nine years ago, and you don't really get them anymore. I think the last one I read was a children's book with two different points of view. But this one is two of Haruki's earlier novels translated in English from Japanese for the first time ever and you can read each one as you please, and I love the idea of it. 

I'm also a big fan of Japanese literature as I find it beautifully crafted and poetic, and you can really see the culture difference when you read them. Murakami has been a big success all around the world and so I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about!

Is anyone else excited for this release? Do you like any of Murakami's other work? I would love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I got this yesterday, can't wait to read it! How about you, did you buy it in the end?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.