Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Making People Happy



Making people happy is the best feeling in the world. Hands down.

All the other crappy things going on in your life seem to float away, even for a second, if you make someone happy.

This can be on a big scale or a small scale. For example, I think I made two people happy today. The first person is someone I have known for a long time but have only become really close with recently, and I invited her to see Dan and Phil (Danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil)... not only to see them, but to meet them in person. 

We have fantasised so much about meeting them and hugging them during our passing conversations that when I made that dream a reality for her she freaked out with happiness. I video called her so I could see her reaction and seeing her eyes fill up with happy tears made me appreciate our friendship and grow even closer to her. Seeing her that happy when I have seen her experience so much unhappiness in different forms over the years just makes the gesture worth it.

On a smaller scale, I found someone who is going to be living in my university halls this year and I got talking to her on Facebook. She admitted that she was really scared that she wouldn't make friends easily and when I told her the same thing and said that she sounds really nice and that I couldn't wait to meet her, it made her happy and perhaps more confident in moving away. 

Sometimes it is hard to make people happy. The world is full of so many problems and obstacles that however hard you try you just can't help someone. But if you keep trying and looking for little ways (or big ways) to brighten someone's day, it might just end up with you feeling a little bit of love too.

I think I'm one of those people that try to make a lot of people happy, and sometimes when I don't get the result I want I feel disheartened. But that isn't the fault of the people who I'm trying to help, it is just life's way of saying "hey, I know you really want to help but sometimes you can't." Life affects people in different ways and what makes some people happy doesn't turn other's heads. You can't change that fact; you just have to let those people be.

I just wanted to write this post tonight because I know how hard it can be being happy within yourself - let alone making other people happy! And sometimes people around you, or complete strangers, will restore your faith in humanity and make you smile, even if it is just for a second. 

But you have to let them in. You have to trust that they won't end up hurting you, or letting the support system be one sided. Since I started letting people in they have made me happy and I've luckily been able to do the same for them.

If you can't make someone smile, even once, then at least be kind. You never know how much that will help them.

4 comments:

  1. Aw this was so cute! c: Dan and Phil are great, so glad you could make your friend so happy by meeting them!

    Both stories are really nice! I think simple acts of kindness are some of the nicest things you can give someone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, Dan and Phil are amazing people, and I am lucky to be given the chance to make someone happy by bringing them into it as well. Being kind is one of the little pleasures in life, and seeing someone benefit from your kindness is even better.

      Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  2. How did you get them to meet her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got us both tickets to their TATINOF show! :)

      Delete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.