Tuesday, 6 October 2015

What I learnt during Freshers Week



Hey! Long time no see! 

So I had my Freshers Week in University a week ago and it was a new experience for me. I had lots of time to reflect on what was happening in that moment and I've had a week to reflect on it since then, and I realised that there was a lot I learnt despite not doing any lectures.

I am currently loving university, by the way. If anyone is on the fence about going, just apply and see what happens! It is very different from school and college, and so I thought I'd share some things that I learnt about myself and the world around me.

(Also my university building looks like Hogwarts and I'm extra happy).

1. Literally no one will force you to drink/do drugs/go clubbing

Unless you've ended up living with the crappiest people in the world, no one is going to force you to do anything you don't want to do. I don't drink and I'm not a massive fan of clubs (mostly due to my mental health issues) and so when I told my flatmates on the first night "by the way, I don't drink alcohol or fizzy drinks" they totally understood and didn't continue the topic. The same was when I told them "hey, I'm not a big fan of clubbing so I won't go all the time" they were just like "that's cool! Whenever you want to come out with us though please do" and I found that so comforting. I didn't even have to mention to them that I have anxiety - they just accepted me.

2. No one is going to judge you for being yourself

This relates to the first answer I gave as well, but I'll add something new here. You don't need to try and be someone you're not - most people you meet will know instantly that you aren't speaking in your normal accent or you are pretending to like things that you've actually never heard of. If you just chill out and be yourself, people will like you and accept you. In fact, they'll have more of a problem with you if you try to be something you're not.

3. You can cook wayyyy better than you thought you could when you were living at home

Well, if cooking is heating up quorn chicken, quorn sausages, quorn mince and veggie burgers and putting veggies on the side to finish off the masterpiece, then yes I can cook. I'm a vegetarian! What else am I meant to do? Those quorn chicken nuggets are just too good.

Have some pictures of my successful barbecue quorn chicken wrap:





4. You will sign up to lots of societies that you will actually never do in a million years

Face it. You've never really been that into Sci-Fi except for Doctor Who and no matter how much you love playing ukulele you aren't ready to take a class in it, with other people judging you. And trying to learn Korean with a teacher who moves faster than lightening is a bad idea. Once you join these societies that you know in your heart you are never going to carry on with, they have your email address and they. never. stop. contacting. you. 

5. No TV? No problem

You'll catch up on the things you really want to watch online after they've aired, and you'll soon find out which shows you genuinely love and which ones you watched just because the television was always on at home. This gives you time to do other stuff... like actual university work! Or if you don't have much of that, learn or do something new. That's what societies are there for. 

6. Free food is not always good food

That whole Dominoes pizza you got just because it was free? Yeah, don't eat that. You know Dominoes pizza makes you really sick. And if you have eaten it? Good luck spending the whole day on the floor in stomach trouble. 

7. It is really easy to talk to people in university

The people you meet on the first night are the people who become your best friends for the whole three years. You know instantly who you get along with and who you want to see more of in the future, and also who you never want to see again. I met my closest friends in my flat and through meeting people my flatmates had met in the fist week.You also have a chance to meet new people in societies and on the introduction talks for your course.

8. Knowing things is cool and not lame at all

In school you often get criticised or put down by your peers for knowing too much or being too interested in the a subject. But in university? The more you know the better! Everyone is in awe when you know a random fact that they don't or know how to play an instrument or can read books in French. Plus lecturers are impressed because they don't have to force you to read those books on the 'recommended list' - you've done it already or own all the books and are ready to start.

9. Spending time on your own is important too

You are going to be spending a lot of time with other people, whether that be in lecture and seminars, your study session groups, people you meet in societies or your friends when you go out during the night. So, sometimes you may feel a bit trapped and might want somewhere that only you know of to go and think about stuff without other people asking questions. Find a quiet place where you know not a lot of people are going to be hanging around close to you and go there whenever you feel like you need to get away. I have found two quiet places, but the pictures below are from my first one which is much quicker to get to from my flat:




10. It is okay to be excited for Freshers Week to be over

Even if you had a great time, like I did, it is totally fine to be excited for lectures (yes, even that early Monday morning existentialist one) because ultimately you are here at university due to the fact that you want to learn stuff. And sometimes, Freshers Week isn't for everyone! You may struggle socially but really fit in when it comes to your study groups and being in a learning environment, because you can handle that type of conversation. 

Whatever you're excited for, that's good! Its good to be excited about stuff. You wouldn't be in university if you had no passion for your subject.

Has anyone else had their Freshers Week recently? What did you learn from it?

Leave me a comment letting me know what you liked, and maybe what you didn't as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.