Monday, 28 March 2016

Review: Unspeakable by Abbie Rushton



Title: Unspeakable
Author: Abbie Rushton
Cover Artist: Unknown
Publisher: Atom Books
Release Date: 5th February 2015
Genre: LGBTQIA+ YA Fiction
Page Count: 288
Original Language: English
Format Read: Paperback
Other books in series: N/A
Movie Adaptation: N/A 

Where you can buy it:  AmazonThe Book DepositoryWaterstonesBarnes and NobleEbay


Blurb


Megan doesn't speak. She hasn't spoken in months.
Pushing away the people she cares about is just a small price to pay. Because there are things locked inside Megan's head - things that are screaming to be heard - that she cannot, must not, let out.
Then Jasmine starts at school: bubbly, beautiful, talkative Jasmine. And for reasons Megan can't quite understand, life starts to look a bit brighter.
Megan would love to speak again, and it seems like Jasmine might be the answer. But if she finds her voice, will she lose everything else?

First Page

Review


*SPOILER ALERT: This review does not assume you have read the book* 

I just want to thank God or Jesus or whoever else for this novel. I read it in one afternoon and I loved every second of it.

Thank you for the awareness of people who are mute as a serious thing that actually happens, and for handling it so well. I don't personally know anyone who is mute but I understand it so much more now.

Thank you for the main relationship not being heterosexual. Thank you. And an extra thank you for the main character being completely uninterested in the opposite sex, and for the secondary main character being interested in both genders, and showing that you can have a strong but unique attraction to each individual.

Thank you for not setting it in a middle class area with perfect mothers.

Thank you for going against the stereotypical 'coming out' routine and parent reactions by not making being LGBTQIA+ be some big dramatic thing.

The only thing I will say about this novel is that I did figure out who had sent the notes (I'm not going to spoil it for you - read the book and find out what these are!) to Jasmine before it was revealed. However, I had read Girl Online the week beforehand and it had a similar plot line to this, so it was only expected for me because I had been down this road before. But that didn't make the shock of the events that were to follow hit me any less. This really is a thriller in disguise.

Final words without spoiling Unspeakable? Amazing. Thank you. 5/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.