Monday, 13 June 2016

Review: Binge by Tyler Oakley



Title: Binge
Author: Tyler Oakley 
Cover Artist: John Vairo and Koury Angelo 
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 20th October 2015
Genre: Autobiography
Page Count: 304
Original Language: English
Format Read: Hardcover
Other books in series: N/A
Movie Adaptation: N/A 

Where you can buy it:  AmazonThe Book DepositoryWaterstonesBarnes and NobleEbay


Blurb

For someone who made a career out of over-sharing on the internet, Tyler Oakley has a shocking number of personal mishaps and shenanigans to reveal in his first book: he experienced a legitimate rage blackout in a Cheesecake Factory; he had a fashion stand-off with the White House secret service; he crashed a car in front of his entire high school in his fast food restaurant server's uniform; he projectile vomited while bartering with a grandmother. 

With millions of fans clamouring for more Tyler Oakley, he delivers his best untold, hilariously side-splitting moments with trademark flair in Binge.

First Page



Review


*SPOILER ALERT: This review does not assume you have read the book* 

There was absolutely nothing I didn't like about this book.

Tyler Oakley is my new queen, and I shall bow down.

This is such a painfully honest book. He didn't need to share all of this with us, and yet he did. It is equally hilarious and tragic, but ultimately human.

I don't always find YouTuber books quite this entertaining, but Tyler was destined to write this book, and I was destined to read it and feel inspired. This is about binging on the good and the bad in life, and how each kind of binge can have consequences. But he reminds us to ultimately binge on the good in life, because you can never have too much sweetness.

It is safe to say that I binged on this book, and it was one of the most indulgent pieces that I've read in a long time. Every joke was perfectly written, but do you know what? They weren't even jokes that were forced out of needing to hit a target word count - they were things he would naturally say, all jotted down in this book. And each one-liner was hilarious!

I finished this book craving more. Only 300 pages? I want a whole candy store full of The Chronicles of Oakley and I want to buy these imaginary books so much that my mouth is practically watering whilst I write this sentence.

On this rare occasion, I declare that I cannot fault in this book. I cannot find a single word that isn't relevant or a photo that doesn't evoke any emotion. Even if you have no idea who Tyler is before reading this, you'll finish the book and always remember his name. This will get you hooked, so just go ahead and binge.

A perfect book deserves a perfect score. 5/5 from me, and can we get a thrown for Tyler? All hail the queen.





About the author:

Tyler Oakley is a pop-culture phenomenon, social rights advocate, and one of the most prominent LGBTQIA+ voices on YouTube. As well as his channel, he has his own Podcast called Psychobabble, has been on tour sharing his funny stories, and now has a new job working for Ellen as a social media correspondent, which is a job currently in the works. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to read more non fiction this month, and this book is definitely on top of my list! Tyler on youtube is hilarious, and I can't wait to see how he written this book. I'm glad it doesn't dissapoint you. Great review!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My name is Cait and I run a book blog called caitreads.com . I love your blog and was perusing a bunch of your posts this evening before running across this one in particular. Not only do I love the way you structure your reviews, I love the way that you write. Your voice is perfectly shown through your honest review and it is so refreshing. Maybe I'll see you over at my site, but if not, I just wanted to let you know that I love your reviews!!

    Cait :) (caitreads.com)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.