Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Look Past by Eric Devine



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly spot hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine and is meant to showcase the books that a blogger is anticipating in the next couple of months. Today I'm going to be talking about Look Past by Eric Devine.

INFORMATION

Title: Look Past
Author: Eric Devine
Page Count: 304
Publisher: Running Press Kids
Release Date: 4th October 2016

Format Available: Hardcover
Original Language: English
Genre: LGBTQIA+ Mystery/Thriller Fiction


DESCRIPTION

Someone brutally murdered Mary Mathison, daughter of a prominent and very conservative local pastor. Whoever it was is now taunting Avery, a transgender boy, with disturbing messages, claiming that Mary's murder was revenge for her relationship with Avery. 
The killer's demands are simple and horrific: Avery must repent for changing his gender identity, or he will be the next one killed.
Can Avery deny who he is to catch Mary s killer? Or will sacrificing himself be the ultimate betrayal?

WHY I CAN'T WAIT

Oh my God. I seriously cannot wait for this book.

You guys know that I love a good crime thriller, and if this ain't one, then I don't know what is. On top of this, there is a transgender main character, and they aren't the one who has been killed!

Transgender people almost never get representation in books and other forms of media, because they are a minority in society that people just don't seem to even think about representing. And it was honestly very hard for me to even find a new release for this year that was about a transgender protagonist - I wanted to represent as many different identities during the month of June in Pride Month, and it took me a long time to find this book. So, there is still a lot of work to be done in this respect, but it is books like this one that are helping the cause for more representation.

I know this isn't exactly a positive book for transgender people, but it actually sounds like it will highlight the problem of harassment of transgender people within society. This in turn will contribute to helping others in society understand what they are doing wrong and teach them to accept transgender members of society, because they are normal people too.

Therefore, I can't wait for this book, because I have never yet read a single book with a transgender character in it, and I am hoping to expand my library very soon to correct this matter.

If you are transgender - be proud! We love you and support you, and you are valid.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.