Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Purple Prose by Kate Harrad



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly spot hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine and is meant to showcase the books that a blogger is anticipating in the next couple of months. Today I'm going to be talking about Purple Prose by Kate Harrad.

INFORMATION

Title: Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain
Author: Kate Harrad and others 
Page Count: 352
Publisher: Thorntree Press
Release Date: 1st September 2016
Format Available: Paperback 
Original Language: English
Genre: LGBTQIA+ Non-Fiction


DESCRIPTION

"Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain" is the first of its kind: a book written for and by bisexuals in the UK. This accessible collection of interviews, essays, poems and commentary explores topics such as definitions of bisexuality, intersections of bisexuality with other identities, stereotypes and biphobia, being bisexual at work, teenage bisexuality and bisexuality through the years, the media's approach to bisexual celebrities, and fictional bisexual characters. 

Filled with raw, honest, first-person accounts as well as comments from leading bisexual activists in the UK, this is the book you'll buy for your friend who's just come out to you as bi-curious, or for your parents who think your bisexuality is weird or a phase, or for yourself, because you know you re bi but you don t know where to go or what to do about it."

WHY I CAN'T WAIT

As someone who is friends with a few bisexual people (at least a few that I currently know of), this book will be revolutionary for not only them, but for the people around them who do not understand their identity.

I love that this book is written by a range of bisexual authors, so you are getting many different points of view, and therefore you'll always find something in the book that you can relate to or understand, whether you are a bisexual person or someone in your life is bisexual and you want to understand them a bit more.

This also sounds interesting because it talks about bisexuality in relation to other identities within the LGBTQIA+ community, and so it reinforces the fact that bisexuality is 100% real.

Since I am not bisexual myself, that doesn't really matter when it comes to this book. I can't wait for this book because I am always looking to be educated about gender and sexuality, and this can help me with that!

So for my bisexual friends, this post is for you. I'm proud to know you and you should be proud to be who you are!

1 comment:

  1. When I saw the premise of this book, my first thought was to get it for my bisexual friends to help them know that it's 100% normal and also inform those around them. Then I realised that it would be good for everyone, including myself, to learn more about it and have that base to increase support for friends etc. when necessary. Thank you for sharing this!
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.