Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Fun Science by Charlie McDonnell (charlieissocoollike)



Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly spot hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine and is meant to showcase the books that a blogger is anticipating in the next couple of months. Today I'm going to be talking about Fun Science by Charlie Mcdonnell.

INFORMATION

Title: Fun Science: A Guide to Life, the Universe, and why life is so Awesome
Author: Charlie McDonnell
Page Count: 256
Publisher: Quadrille Publishing

Release Date: 20th October 2016
Format Available: Hardcover
Original Language: English
Genre: Educational Non-Fiction


DESCRIPTION

Welcome, fellow humans (and others), to the the world of FUN SCIENCE! I'm Charlie, also known across the internet as charlieissocoollike.
In my book, I'll be taking you on an awesome journey through the cosmos, beginning with the Big Bang through to the Solar System and the origins of life on Earth, all the way down to the particles that make up everything around us (including you and me!).
Expect frequent digressions, tons of illustrations of not-so-sciencey things (NB a microwave flying through space), and pages packed with my all time favourite mind-bending science facts.
So, get ready for a faster-than-the-speed of-light (OK, not quite) tour of all of the best and most interesting things that science has to offer us… and most importantly: WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSE!
(Written by a Science Fan NOT a scientist!)

WHY I CAN'T WAIT

Charlie McDonnell is the original well-spoken nerdy British boy who hit the big time with his Youtube channel charlieissocoollike, which includes everything from making a cup of tea to short films which he has produced.

And then there's painting himself purple, which I think falls right in the middle of both of those things.



I used to be, for want of a better word, obsessed with Charlie. He was like the original British Youtuber, and I saw him as a complete celebrity, because he managed to do so well just by playing up on the things that make him inherently British.

I also used to love his TRock band (Timelord Rock) called Chameleon Circuit, but then Alex Day was... well, Alex Day, and the band stopped making music. It was a really cool band that sang songs about Doctor Who, and if they had gone on a tour I definitely would have bought tickets. Just saying.

However, the thing I used to love the most about Charlie was his Fun Science videos, in which he explained science in a really easy way. It was so understandable that even I understood it! I remember my physics teacher showing our class this video about sound:




Embarrassingly, I can still remember all the words to this song about sound.

Its not like I spent hours re-watching it, consciously trying to learn the words off by heart...

ANYWAY.

So, as you can probably tell, my 12 year old self is bursting out of my with excitement. And also my 19 year old self, because I still watch Charlie despite him not being as active on Youtube anymore. Its also pretty cool that he is bringing out a book about science, because his viewers (most of them being pretty young I guess) can actually be educated from buying this book, and so I doubt parents will have much of a problem with buying this book for their children.

I hope I'm able to get a copy of this book nearer the time of release, because this is pretty much a dream for pre-teen me. Plus, I've waited for so long to hear more of Charlie's voice, and now it is packed into a book for me to keep and open up whenever I want!

Did/Does anyone else love Charlie? Will you be getting this book?

Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear your thoughts on my posts; good or constructive! My blog is a safe space for everyone who wants to read and use it and so I would discourage any hateful, offensive or explicit comments.